Thursday, January 25, 2024

Me, gardener to writer

 


From Garden Gnomes to Talking Toast: Confessions of a 71-Year-Old Scribbler

Ah, retirement. They said it would be all bingo mornings and questionable floral shirts. But for me, it's been a whirlwind of waltzing words and wrestling rogue commas. Yep, at 71, this old garden gnome has traded his trowel for a quill, transforming from flower whisperer to full-blown author. Five books later (poetry and short stories, mind you, not seed catalogs), and I'm here to tell you, this ain't your grandpa's rocking chair routine.

Let's rewind, shall we? Thirty-three years spent sculpting landscapes, coaxing roses from reluctant soil, and battling rogue squirrels for sunflower seeds. I could prune a privet blindfolded, knew the Latin names of every weed that dared to trespass, and even birdbathed with the robins on occasion (though Joanne drew the line at sharing her morning tea with the slugs).

But then, something bloomed in amongst the begonias. A story, stubborn and insistent, demanding to be coaxed from the fertile soil of my imagination. One tap-tap-tapping on the old typewriter later, and "A Scribbler's Dream" was born. A whimsical tale of talking toads and inkwell wishes, it was like sunshine after a hailstorm – bright, warm, and utterly bonkers.

Joanne, my soulmate (second wife, don't ask, long story involving a rogue gnome statue and a very unfortunate game of croquet), cheered me on like a champion cheerleader fueled by dandelion wine. And so, the words kept flowing, each book wilder than the last. "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of the Talking Toast" anyone? Yes, you read that right. Talking. Toast. Don't knock it till you've tried it, buttered with existential angst and sprinkled with philosophical marmalade.

Now, don't get me wrong, I still cherish the mud under my fingernails and the earthy scent of petunias. But there's a different kind of thrill in weaving words, sculpting sentences, and breathing life into characters – even if they are made of toast. Besides, retirement gives me ample time for my other passions:

  • Loyal as a Labrador: I'm your go-to guy for fixing leaky faucets, banishing rogue Ikea furniture, and lending a hand (or a toolbox) to anyone in need. Joanne says I should open a handyman hotline, but I prefer the satisfaction of a DIY disaster averted.
  • Petrolhead in Paradise: Give me a winding country road, a vintage convertible with the roof down, and a playlist of classic rock, and I'm in heaven. Just don't ask me to parallel park, those darn cones still haunt my dreams.

So, here I am, 71 and feeling like a kid in a candy store – a candy store stocked with metaphors, plot twists, and talking breakfast pastries. It's not all sunshine and sonnets, of course. There's writer's block that feels like a rogue badger in the manuscript, and rejection letters that sting like nettles on bare ankles. But then Joanne makes me a cuppa, the sun peeks through the window, and the words start dancing again.

This retirement lark? It's not half bad. Sure, I miss the roses, but I've got talking toasts, loyal friends, and a soulmate who thinks my existential toast metaphors are the bee's knees. So, raise a glass (or a slice of buttered wonder) to this old scribbler, still blooming in the autumn of his years. Who knows, maybe next time I'll write a novel about a gnome who finds enlightenment in a compost heap. Now that's a story I'd pay to read.

And to you, dear reader, I say this: never stop chasing your dreams, even if they involve talking toast or dancing dahlias. This world needs your unique story, so grab your pen, your trowel, or your paintbrush, and get scribbling! The only limit is your imagination (and maybe the amount of butter you have on hand).

P.S. If you're ever in the neighborhood, drop by for a cuppa and a chat. Just don't mention the gnome incident. Joanne still gets twitchy about it.

Happy scribbling!

Peter, the 71-year-old Scribbler with a Talking Toast Problem (and a Soulmate who Loves Him Anyway)

No comments:

Day to Day events

Spring time

  The sun awakes in a sleepy stretch,  Yawning warmth on a winter's wretch.  Birdsong flutters on the breeze,  Waking trees from slumber...